Total Pageviews

Thursday 22 September 2011

Other texts

For my essay I was tasked with looking in to other films to research and collect ideas from that were earlier than the two films I looked at, as mentioned before I did choose a more recent film as well, this was Layer Cake, because the film managed to take 11 million dollars at the box office, meaning they must have used some good conventions.

In terms of the films I chose that helped create and set the conventions of the crime genre, these being things such as the way they use lighting and the characters they used at the time and also most importantly the setting and how the film begins, these films were; Reservoir Dogs taking 22 million dollars, Good Fellas taking 55.1 million dollars, Scarface taking 65 million dollars, The Untouchables taking 76 million dollars, The Godfather Part 3 taking 136 million dollars, The Godfather Part 2 taking 193 million dollars, Gangs Of New York taking the same amount and Pulp Fiction taking in 213 million dollars.

These were some of the most iconic films in history and were all rated amongst the top 40 gangster films of all time, amongst these were also the two films I had already compared.

These film openings will allow me to see some of the conventions that began the crime genre and helped it to evolve and progress to create new conventions for the genre.

In my essay I will be required to compare these films with each other and to the 2 films I originally chose to look at also to use some references from reviews and media terminology to analyse the key conventions of these films.

No comments:

Post a Comment